Family reunions are a favorite pastime for many people. However and unfortunately for many others, family get-togethers do not hold that same status. This is primarily due to the modern lifestyles that most people live, which hardly grants them the time to do other things. It is a shame that people have allowed hectic lifestyles to take over their lives and afford them little time to meet up with relatives.
Family reunions allow near and distant family members to connect and reconnect with each other. Relatives are empowered to know every aunt, uncle, cousin, niece, nephew and ancestor. A reunion of different generations strengthens the family bond. It makes it possible to enlighten younger generations about their historical heritage and backgrounds. Memorable pictures are taken and legendary stories are told. Moreover, families keep in touch and plenty of rapport is expressed thereafter.
Most family reunions are only held yearly or bi-yearly. Therefore, it is important to always take out time for family gatherings. Since planning a family reunion can be an overwhelming endeavor and a challenge for most people to attend, when you get family members together it is extremely important that you make it fun and exciting for everyone. You want them to aspire to attend the next one and not avoid it because the event was boring. Here are 3 entertaining family reunion activities that can make the event a big hit.
1. Verbal History
Ensure you have a video camera or camcorder to help you make the most out of this activity. You can ask for someone to help you go around and interview different family members. If the gathering is in honor of someone who just passed on or a couple who are celebrating many wondrous years of marriage, let the interviews center on that special occasion.
You can ask the same questions to relatives from different generations to give your story a creative direction. In addition, you can have other relatives help you out with questions, toss it into a hat and ask people randomly or as a group.
2. Family Tree Wall
Family tree wall charts are well-liked by family members who attend reunions. They help people understand their placement within the family tree. When you create a family tree, do not leave any generation out; go back as far as you can. All family members are required to help out and fill in the missing blanks as well as correct wrong information. It is always cool to have a big poster board depicting all generations. A finished product is always a great resource for genealogical information.
A heritage cookbook can be a cool fundraising project for next year's reunion. It entails all attendees forwarding to you family recipes. They need to be customized family recipes passed down from one generation to the next. You can ask all those who submit to include a photo as well as information about the family member that created the recipe or dish. These amazing recipes can be compiled and turned into a family heritage cookbook that can be passed down to future generations and used for many years to come.
Remember family reunion activities should not only be fun, exciting and engaging but should also bring the family closer together which is what a family reunion is all about. Be sure to include activities for all ages including the youth and the elderly.
Planning a family reunion? Visit [http://all-things-family-reunion.com/]http://all-things-family-reunion.com for all the things you need for a great family reunion. Check out an awesome selection of fun, unique and creative [http://www.all-things-family-reunion.com/family-reunion-activities.html]family reunion activities including a "Strut Your Stuff" Fashion Show.
Article Source: [http://EzineArticles.com/?3-Entertaining-Family-Reunion-Activities-That-Can-Make-the-Event-a-Big-Hit&id=7521538] 3 Entertaining Family Reunion Activities That Can Make the Event a Big Hit
A family reunion generally takes place every year. However, some families opt to hold one every other year or every several years. Regardless of when a family gathering occurs, it is thoughtful, considerate and respectful to attend. It is always a nice thing to catch up with relatives that you do not see all the time. A reunion can be overwhelming if not planned right. A successful reunion starts with a meeting. It is important to build a communication bridge and have everyone on the same page.
Families span across generations and are bound by different things. They have certain rules and limits that they follow. You will need to respect that and ensure that everyone has enough room to enjoy themselves at the same time. Here are some important family reunion ideas you should consider if you are determined to succeed with the occasion.
1. One person should not be saddled with all the work. Whether he or she is willing to take it all on is not the issue. It is a good idea to create a number of committees and designate one person to oversee each committee.
2. If adults must drink alcohol, serve it sparingly. Monitor those who are drinking to avoid any embarrassment or drunken brawls. It helps to outline the alcohol rules and tell adults not to take more than 2-3 glasses.
3. Family gossip can hardly be avoided. It is hard to avoid not talking about Uncle Derek, if he shows up without his wife. What about if Sabrina shows up with dyed hair, tattoos and multiple piercings? Such issues or concerns should not be discussed at a family reunion. Every family problem or concern need not be shared. A family gathering is a period to be loved and not for backstabbing people. Never make anyone feel like an outcast or societal reject.
4. Do not talk about religion, politics or sex at a reunion. It is inappropriate in some quarters and it can spark off some volatile emotions in others. A family reunion is all about coming under one banner of togetherness. It is not about taking political sides, ridiculing sexual preferences or picking holes in a particular religion. Everyone coming to a reunion needs to be accepted and respected.
5. As the saying goes the more the merrier. Therefore, do not throw a fit when some unexpected relatives show up. Get with the program and try not to dampen the lively atmosphere with any tantrums or bad behavior. Never let your exasperation show. Be gracious and extend open arms to everybody that comes around.
6. Learn to grow thick skin because things will not always go exactly as planned. Some people will show up with an attitude. Some will not show up at all. Others may think they are royalty and want preferential treatment. Despite these shortcomings, suck it all up and walk around with a smile slapped on your face. A positive attitude always wins over a rotten one any day.
Family reunions can be great or awful. It all depends on if you are determined to make things work despite all odds. Implementation of these family reunion ideas will assist you in making your event a big hit. Ensure that the love, communication and affection that is extended does not end with the reunion. Keep in touch any way that you can and send complimentary cards to everyone who attended.
Planning a family reunion? Visit [http://all-things-family-reunion.com/]http://all-things-family-reunion.com for all the things you need for a great family reunion. You are just a click away from several creative and unique [http://www.all-things-family-reunion.com/family-reunion-ideas.html]family reunion ideas including a generational dance.
Article Source: [http://EzineArticles.com/?Some-Family-Reunion-Ideas-to-Consider-If-You-Are-Determined-to-Succeed-With-the-Occasion&id=7530733] Some Family Reunion Ideas to Consider If You Are Determined to Succeed With the Occasion